top of page

There was once... the Ore Mountains

"The Ore Mountains owe their name to the rich finds of silver, and to the mining tradition for its economic development. It's not for nothing that people say here: Everything comes from the mines. The mining region of the Ore Mountains/ Krušnohoří has rightly and proudly held the title of UNESCO World Heritage since July 2019. "

Freilichtmuseum Sommer Seiffen

"1324 was first mentioned in a margrave fief letter about Sayda and Purschenstein, and soaps as "cynsifen".

Between the 15th and 17th centuries, lively mining activity developed around “the Schwarte” (the popular name for the Schwarteberg). Seiffen became the seat of the vassal mountain office around 1600. In the following century, tin mining in the Seiffener Winkel declined unstoppably. The reasons for this decline were: technical difficulties in penetrating the depths, falling world market prices for precious and non-ferrous metals and cheap imports from overseas. Wars finally brought him to a complete standstill. The last Seiffen mining company and the mining authority were dissolved in 1849.


After the end of mining, it was again a Hiemann who drew attention to the timber industry. Christian Friedrich Hiemann went to the Leipzig Trade Fair with his push-ram loaded with turned goods and brought back a large number of orders for “Nuremberg-style toys”. The turners in the Seiffener Winkel could hardly handle the orders with the conventional technology. In order to meet the requirements, the water drive of the dormant Pochstätten was converted to drive the revolving shutters in the Seiffenbachtal. At the same time, the hydraulic power slewing gear was built in Heidlberg. Seiffen and Heidlberg counted well over 100 wood turners around 1800."

bottom of page